Saturday, November 15, 2008

Now this was a day.

Last night, Fosco was flipping channels past his local news (the always amateurish KSBW Action News 8 serving Monterey, Salinas and Santa Cruz) when he caught their report on the national Marriage Equality rallies. The anchorette noted that 1000 people showed up in both Monterey and Salinas (surprising, as both cities are relatively conservative for this area). But the best part is when she said that an estimated 100 million people protested nationwide.

Of course, this number is absurdly wrong. As much as I would love for it to be true, that would mean that one third of the US population rallied in favor of gay marriage. I'm going to have to be skeptical of that figure.

But, even if this number was inflated, Saturday's rallies were still remarkable. This is like nothing I've seen in my lifetime. Here is the front page of last night's NYTimes:

If you're like Fosco, you still want to bask in the glow from yesterday's rallies. Here are some ways for you to do that:


This is the kind of day that fills you with hope.

2 comments:

m said...

I was at the one in SC and have a picture of the "I am worthy of marriage" sign. The guy's partner had one that said "I am worthy of a husband and so is my partner", they made even cynical me a little teary-eyed.

FOSCO said...

Oooh, Mere. You're everywhere I want to be!