Wednesday, July 26, 2006

California: The Central Valley

Because I'm a Literature type, these types of things occur to me while I'm driving. I apologize in advance.

A paean to the agricultural marvel, the Central Valley of California:

"What wondrous life is this I lead!
Ripe apples drop about my head ;
The luscious clusters of the vine
Upon my mouth do crush their wine ;
The nectarine and curious peach
Into my hands themselves do reach ;
Stumbling on melons as I pass,
Insnared with flowers, I fall on grass.

[...]

Such was that happy garden-state,
While man there walked without a mate :
After a place so pure and sweet,
What other help could yet be meet!
But 'twas beyond a mortal's share
To wander solitary there :
Two paradises 'twere in one
To live in Paradise alone."

Andrew Marvell, "The Garden"


Clearly, because it was "beyond a mortal's share" to live in such a Paradise alone, the other 2.7 million people moved here.

No comments: