Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Nevada: Baby Got Basque

Elko, Nevada: home of a considerable Basque immigrant population, who arrived in the late 19th century to assist in sheepherding.

Rejected titles for this post:
Basque to the Future
Basque in Baby's Arms
Taking Basque Sunday
Basque-in Robbins: 31 Flavors
Basque-ing in Reflected Glory
Basque-streets
Jean-Michel Basque-iat
I'm Glad to See Your Basque, Elaine. (Listen to this one--you'll be glad you did.)
You Scratch My Basque, I'll Scratch Yours

Other suggestions?

I met a swarthy Basque gentleman (not a sheepherder, but a day laborer) in a local lavatory and treated him to dinner at the traditionally Basque Star Hotel. (Scroll down for picture). A traditional Basque dinner is a treat that I would definitely recommend--especially for hearty appetites. The side dishes are all served family style and you are likely to be seated at a long table with complete strangers. The meal consisted of:

  • A glass of picon punch, which really knocked me for a loop.
  • A light vegetable soup, with cabbage, leeks, and celery.
  • An iceberg salad with a creamy garlic dressing.
  • Baked lamb--crispy and well-seasoned on the outside; moist and creamy on the inside.
  • Basque red beans
  • Green Beans
  • Spaghetti
  • French fries (in the traditional French frite style).

My companion had a fried chicken, which was also exceptionally delicious.

Overheard conversation while eating: (by a girl in her early twenties) "My life dream is to live over a bar." Fosco wishes you the best of luck, my dear!

No comments: