Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Nebraska: Husker? I don't even know her.



What's your favorite song about Nebraska?

Here's a verse from mine:
"From the town of Lincoln Nebraska
With a sawed-off .410 on my lap
Through to the badlands of Wyoming
I killed everything in my path."
(Bruce Springsteen, "Nebraska")

I'm pretty sure that they adopted this as the the Nebraska state song.

Would you be worried if I told you that I listened to this song over and over through the whole 400+ miles of the state? Well, I didn't. I also listened to High School Musical, which is more than sufficient to calm the mad.

As I looked over the massive commercial farms of Nebraska, I kept thinking what the state would have looked like 300 years ago. The vast prairie has been entirely replaced with cows, corn, and beans. Thanks to Elizabeth Kolbert and President-in-Exile Al Gore, I wonder how soon this farmland will become desert. Probably not in my lifetime, but possibly within the lifetimes of my four illegitimate children. Unless, of course, they die of childhood diseases. Fingers crossed!

No comments: